Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What I did on Monday & other random stuff

I took Monday off. Kind of got electricity to the barn - I'm not real confident about a few things so I'm having someone who actually knows what he's doing have a look at it before I declare my endeavor a success. Things went well. A few trips back and forth to my friendly neighborhood hardware store (MFNHS); but I've come to expect that - particularly when I'm doing electrical stuff. By Thursday I should have the verdict on how I did - and get anything I did wrong fixed.

Once I got as far as I dared on electrical matters I turned my attention elsewhere in the barn. I put some trim up around the doors - discovered that I didn't have enough prepainted trim boards to finish that task. GRRR. Thankfully(?) there were other things to do too. There were about 100 miles of seams that still needed caulking so I tackled that. I only caulked about 42 miles worth - I did another 17 miles after work this afternoon. Only 41 more miles to go!

On to things random - I find that blogging inspires me to get stuff done (or at least get stuff started) so that I can write about it. If I had started this blog when we first moved in, by now our home would look like the house in the picture below and I would have written blogdom's equivalent to War and Peace.

Next, random item - Books I have found absolutely invaluable throughout this whole ordeal:

1) How to Build a House by Larry Haun & others. Taunton Press, 2002. This is put together by the folks from Habitat for Humanity. Love 'em or hate 'em (why would anyone hate H4H?) they build good houses. They also put together a terrific book that literally shows you how to do everything from foundation to shingles.

2) Renovation, 3rd Edition by Michael Litchfield. Taunton Press, 2005. Encyclopedic in its scope; detailed in its presentation. With this book, a few tools and a little confidence you could redo, recover, rebuild anything pertaining to your domicile.

3) Wiring a House by Rex Cauldwell. Taunton Press, 1996. This guy is good. He's a master electrician who can explain things to non-master electricians. He throws in some theory too. Most importantly: a veritable cornucopia of pictures and diagrams. I've done most of my wiring with this book open to one page or another.

4) Graphic Guide to Frame Construction by Rob Thallon. Taunton Press, 1998. Again lots of pix and diagrams. Complements How to Build a House nicely. It's got a little more detail.

Did you notice how all of these books are from the Taunton Press? I love the Taunton Press. We've got books from them on all kinds of subjects. They are consistently worth every penny we spent on them. Good, practical, no nonsense "how to do whatever you want to do" books - with lots of pictures. It's not that I'm illiterate; it's just that I like pictures. I like to be able to see what something is supposed to look like when I'm done with it -- that doesn't necessarily mean that my finished projects always conform to the pictures.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taunton Press- Amen brother! I have both the "Toolbox" and "Worbench" series from Taunton Press in my quiver. I should also note that your ladder angle on the chimney demo picture screams of a broken rib cage.

Taron mentioned that he couldn't find your email info, so I thought I would just post my question on your blog. Taron and I are going over to the North Fork Brewery on Friday for some ale, pizza and polemic theology. Rick and I thought you are the only one in our church to fit said criteria- so how about it?

geoffreyegrissom@hotmail.com

Al said...

Gris; I'm sorry to have to do this but your ladder comment makes me have to direct your attention to RULE 2. There is a very logical, sensible explanation for my ladder angle i.e. I didn't feel like lowering it since the ground was soft and it's not as far a drop as it looks.

I am all for your proposal regarding in depth beer-ological discussion at the North Fork. I shall email you presently.

Anonymous said...

Al,

These books look like EXCELLENT books and great gift ideas for Kevin! I can order them from Amazon for Kevin for Father's Day, he'll just love them!!

Al said...

I think K might find Benny Hinn's latest tome more useful than the books I listed. But, maybe he can get them for you for Mother's Day! Just say the word and I will drop him a subtle hint.

Anonymous said...

I will definately visit you when your house resembles the above picture. (kids or no kids) Let me know when you're done.
BTW, I did notice that your weather vane has a heron on it, I believe. Very clever!
I'm not as dumb as you think I am.
Love, Michelle

Anonymous said...

Reading the details of your home renovations inspire me to get off of my butt and do something worth blogging about. Thanks dad!!
ps- I'd like to note that it is before 8 in the morning and I have already brought you homemade muffins, made Daniel lunch, worked out at the gym for an hour, did a load of laundry and have taken out the trash... I'm starting to sound like Beppe

Al said...

Way to notice that it's a heron on our weather vane. I won't expect a Bouwer's visit anytime in my lifetime if you're going to wait until my house looks like the one in the picture.
If you lower your expectations just a tad, you can come over right now.

Al said...

Erin, keep up the beppe-ivity!*
Inspiring my offspring is just one of my many parental duties. (Occasionaly embarrassing them is another.) Your muffins were a big hit at work.
*For you non-frisian folk - "beppe" means "grandmother".