Monday, May 19, 2008

For the want of a nail...

It's been almost a week since I've posted anything and so, lest you think we've just been sitting around or (perish the thought!) that we've given up, I thought I'd better update things.

As far as the actual addition is concerned - a guy is coming over tomorrow to give us a quote on the foundation work. (We're contracting that out.) We did manage to get all of the chimney bricks picked up.

About the title - it's the beginning of a Ben Franklin quote (which he undoubtedly stole from someone else). Plagiarized or not, it's a good quote (look it up yourself...) It has to do with preparedness. I'm finding more and more that we have to know what we need before we start a project. I could have finished off the barn this weekend but I was missing a part for my security light and since I was missing that part, everything ground to a halt. I was in Bellingham on Saturday morning and none of the big box hardware stores had it (I'm sure that Hardware Sales would have had it - but I couldn't get there.) I had to go to Lynden on Saturday afternoon - none of the three not-quite-so-big-box hardware stores there had it either. I knew that MFNHS had it. I knew this because I had picked up the wrong part there on Friday (the right part was in the bin next to the bin with the wrong part in it.) Unfortunately, MFNHS closes at noon on Saturday. So no real barn progress happened on Saturday, but lots of barn frustration happened.

Once I took stock of things it turned out that there was quite a bit more to do on the barn than I originally anticipated. Of course, I should know by now that it takes me a long time to do electrical work. I ran a circuit for outlets - I put in a 20 amp breaker and ran thicker gauge wire. I got some burly outlets too. My cord reels came in today and so I can mount them tomorrow. We're real pleased with the way things turned out. I picked up the critical part at MFNHS on my way home from work and finished up. I did one thing wrong though - I have an outlet that only has power to it when my photosensitive security light is on - I'll have to do a little circuit rerouting tomorrow...

Hopefully, I can build a decent work bench on Memorial Day (next Monday) and start organizing the barn. It sure will be nice to have power out there. Gone are the days of lugging the table saw, chop saw, etc. out to the house in order to cut things! I suppose I'd better replace the cords that my dog has chewed off several of my tools before then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day!
So, how's progress? I guess tomorrow's bench building day? Got that sign up now?

Al said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes! Just shoved the last of the post-church birthday bash crowd out. Tomorrow I will get that sign done (and hopefully at least start on a work bench.) I did organize a little on Saturday...