Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day so I could stay home from work guilt-free. The only "Memorial Day stuff" I did was to fly my flag at half-mast. For years we've gone to the cemetery to watch the VFW do their thing - we didn't this year; I felt bad about missing it. I think it's important to be reminded of what the cost was and is for the freedom we enjoy and so often take for granted.

That being said, the sum total of "addition work" accomplished in the last week is pictured for you below. Actually we had a couple of guys give us estimates for the foundation work (we've picked one); we also figured out who's going to dig the hole for the foundation. Now we just have to coordinate things so they show up in the right order and within a couple of days of one another - apparently that can be quite a chore. It will be nice when we get to the point where we can start doing stuff ourselves.

I've been working in the barn. I got it cleaned up a little bit and then it went downhill in a hurry during the course of today's work bench project. I went to Home Depot in Abbotsford this morning. I was waiting outside with all the contractors when it opened. I picked up all of the lumber I needed for it. I made excellent use of one of the tape measures I got for my birthday (thanks, K's!). The bench is coming along fine but it's not done. I had to order a bunch of hardware online which should come in by week's end. (Then I'll show you pictures - it's going to be one burly workbench!)

Yeah, that's right! I got my sign done. Safely too, I might add...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like you worked your butt off yesterday. Oh, and I might add you very dapper in that pic. I think I will buy you a new t-shirt for your birthday.

Al said...

I've rescued my Gumby tee from the garbage more than once... It's got a few good work days in it yet.