Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vacation (day 3)

Well, I'm all better and so is the weather...

This morning began with me up on the roof with my trusty Milwaukee Sawzall reciprocating saw. This time though, I wasn't "fixing" something that I did wrong; I was actually doing things according to plans. By the way, did you ever see the cartoon where the character used a saw to cut through the branch he was sitting on? I'm pretty sure it was Wile E. Coyote. I was just wondering - it really has no bearing on my story. Honest.

Anyway, I was happily sawing (Grace might disagree about the 'happily' part) - waiting for the roof to cave in. I had taken every precaution. Tools, children, dogs and other livestock were removed from the 'drop zone'. Grace had carefully and sturdily propped everything up to prevent any chance of premature droppage. Things were going along swimmingly.... Witness below, I am carefully cutting away...

The picture below finds me in pretty much the identical position albeit a large section of the roof is no longer attached to the house. If you will look closely, you will note that I am still holding my saw. Even closer inspection will reveal that there is no longer any electrical cord coming out the saw... You see, in spite of our careful preparations we failed to consider that the roof section would spin around a couple of times on its way down. Oh it spun, my friends; it spun.... In the course of its spinning it wrapped up the cord of my saw and yanked it right out... Thankfully, I had the presence of mind not to fall off the roof. Everything worked out OK - with the exception of my reciprocating saw which I will fix this evening.
On a side note, our photographer came within seconds of capturing all of the excitement on video! We had a short video of literally seconds before the cacophonous crash and a short video with dust still hanging in the air. Why, you ask, is there no video of the event itself? Well apparently there was a pressing need to video one of our dogs licking himself in an inappropriate manner at the exact second the roof fell. (I'll just leave it to you to guess which dog it was...)

By day's end, this is what we had accomplished. Grace is working; I am drinking a beer... Tomorrow morning the lumber for our ceiling joists and rafters is coming. Gonna be fun!

2 comments:

Erin said...

HAHAHA that is the funniest thing ever!! I just cracked up when I looked at the blown up picture and saw your face (and mom's). The progress is amazing!

Al said...

I was (and still am) fully expecting someone to violate Rule #2 (re. safety (or lack of same)). Thank you for merely laughing at our marital distress.