Monday, July 14, 2008

Tearing off old siding...

Grace and Paige pulled off a bunch of siding today. In doing so, as you can see below, they discovered an old opening for a window. The window was hidden behind the chimney. Kind of makes me wonder how many times this place has been renovated/added on to. Oh well, one more time...

During the course of their siding-pulling-off it became necessary for them to heartlessly tear down a swallow's nest. (I would never have done that... That's just plain mean.) Anyway, inside were three very small, pointed speckled eggs. I'm pretty sure that eventually Norman ate them. I don't feel too bad - I know those swallows already raised one brood/herd/flock this year - it wasn't more than four days ago that hideously ugly baby swallows were sticking their heads out of that wad of mud stuck to the wall. They were also pooping all over my subfloor. It was a pretty amazing nest though.
Once the siding was off, we had to figure out how tall our walls had to be in order for everything to match up with the existing house. Grace was pretty stoked about this - I, on the other hand, thought we should just make them whatever height as long as it seemed like we were making some progress. Thankfully, Grace prevailed but when neither of us could come anywhere near to having anything close to a clue about how to figure it out, we decided to call Mr. T. (Not *the* Mr. T (my favorite theologian/philosopher) but Mr. Rick T - designer of amazing log homes.)

He and his lovely wife graced us with a visit and he quickly figured out that our studs have to be 100 inches long. (There was a lot of complicated math involved and I'm pretty sure that quantum physics and cold fusion came into play - I could explain it all to you but you probably wouldn't grasp it...) Truthfully, a lot of it went over my head, which just gives me an excuse to invite them over again once I need another number. Thanks Rick & Joyce; it's Al good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you are making good progress on the addition...keep up the good work! I have a good laugh everytime I read your latest blog entry. Makes me wish we would have done something similar when we did our addition.

Did Norman have the day off?

Al said...

Thanks, Mel.
You can actually see Norman underneath the nest that Paige has in her hand.... Norman never rests when there are people working or when there are tools to be chewed up.

Randy Vermeer said...

I'm surprised that a smart guy like you couldn't figure out that the studs had to be 100" long. Next time, call me and I'll give you good advice (or am I violating one of those rules that you've got?)

Al said...

You're absolutely right about how smart I am; but there was black magic and other voodoo-like formulas that had to be used to come up with the final figure. I would have hit on a nice round number but Grace was insistent that we get it right so that the roof lines would meet up properly...