Saturday, July 12, 2008

Subfloor

It's 4 p.m. on a very hot Saturday afternoon and I just finished putting the last screws in our subfloor. Grace and I got started around 8:30 this morning. We were somewhat hampered by the fact that I only had one working battery for my impact driver; and that battery seems to be on its last legs too. (My beloved children failed to pick up on my subtle Father's Day hints...) We had to stop every once in a while in order to let the battery charge and at one point I had to put it in the fridge to cool it down before it would even take a charge. (I had to make a little room for it so I cleared out a beer or two.) We managed to get all but the last two 4x8 sheets on before Grace had to leave for work. I figured out a way to do the last two myself. (It got pretty hairy; I'm glad there are no pictures of that....)

Anyway, the adhesive is globbed on, the sheets are down, and everything is securely screwed down. I'm going for a swim.

Man (and woman) handling a sheet of plywood into place.

...and there's Norman - he's either supervising or checking out our shapely behinds...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So have you given up and decided to leave your tools directly infront of Norman now? Or is that the best hiding place you could find?

Al said...

You're right. He wasn't supervising or checking us out - he was making sure that we weren't watching him so that he could take a bite out of the handle of my maul.

Anonymous said...

what's a maul???

Al said...

maul (mawl) -noun 1. a heavy hammer, as for driving stakes or wedges.
Your education is now complete...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Big Al, now I know what a maul is, I feel quite empowered by my new knowledge.

And don't worry, K has no interest in helping, or hurting himself in any of my projects. He's just the grunt labor, I'm the brains. And I won't hurt my man or make his hands calloused, that goes against my better judgement.

You guys are making great strides, keep it up! Your new bedroom will be wonderful!

Al said...

no charge on the vocab lesson.

you know, if we stopped now, we could just call it a deck.