Monday, July 7, 2008

Rim board; floor joists

If you had told me on Saturday that by Monday afternoon we would have half of the floor joists up I would never have believed you. All right, it's well past 9 p.m. on Monday night, but we do have half of the floor joists in place.

I came home from work this afternoon to find Jesse hammering joist hangers on to the ledger board and Grace dragging 16 foot long 2x10's to the foundation. While I went for a swim, they got the rim joists up and by the time I was back we were measuring and cutting and hanging and nailing. Very satisfying! The more lumber I can get between me and that foundation the better!

Grace did have to make a trip to Home Depot in Abbotsford for a few pieces of lumber. I had her pick up a few new saw blades for the circular saw too. (I don't think we've ever changed the blade on that thing and it's over ten years old! We weren't cutting our 2x10's so much as we were burning through them. A new blade makes it seem like a hot knife through butter. I love butter.)

Grace is going to do some blocking tomorrow morning (and then she has to work.) If there is a kid home who is strong enough to lift a 16 foot long 2x10 maybe I can finish it up tomorrow.

LOOK! There's Grace!

(She's the one obscured by that big fleshy thing in the foreground...)

Anyway, you can see some of our progress in this picture.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm volunteering my husband to come take a look at things whenever you want that to happen. He's dying to come over, but I think he wants an invitation. Call! :)

It's lookin' good.

Al said...

Send him on over anytime! (You can show him this and tell him that it constitutes an invitation...)

Anonymous said...

Personally I don't want to come over, nor get an invitation unless we are bobbing for beverages in the rain barrel, and you get the inside of your guitars cleaned out.
Peter

Al said...

I'm just gonna leave this one alone...