Saturday, September 11, 2010

Deck update

We're back!

We finally got a stretch of half decent weather that coincided with a weekend so we could work on the deck.  We weren't really expecting to since the weatherman promised us lousy weather but when we woke up this morning it was gorgeous.  Grace went to Lynden and rented a belt sander and then I sanded... and sanded... and sanded...  
Sanding was pretty horrible.  The picture shows me sanding where I could at least stand up. Once I moved closer to the house I had to crawl around.  Every now and again, I wouldn't pay attention and suddenly the sander would take off on me....

When the sanding portion of the job was done we were ready to apply the stain (which Grace also picked up this morning.)  We were very pleased with the results.  Here's a before and after picture.

Before


After
(note the high security string for keeping Norman off the deck - 
it worked as long as we were there to yell at him...)

Next week we hope to put the roof on and then we hope for just a few nice days so that we can enjoy our deck a bit this year yet...

2 comments:

Mel said...

Nice work once again! It looks really good. The high security string does look intimidating.

Joyce said...

The deck looks great! All that hard work really shows. I hope you get your wish for more nice weather, too.