Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New back door...

I don't know for certain but I'm quite sure that the previous owners of our house found the back door on a driving range - probably about 50 yards or so from the tees. It's ugly and pock marked with many, many dents and dings of varying depths. It is without a doubt the ugliest door ever made. It is a steel door - very secure, I suppose. It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. There are no fake wood panels or anything else even the least bit appealing to the eye. I can't even describe the color - it's a nondescript greenish, whitish, beige-ish... It's basically a 3x7ish piece of steel... In retrospect, I can't believe we put up with the thing for as long as we did. If you think I'm exaggerating; check out the following picture:
Do you see how ugly that thing is? I don't know what that round thing is near the top. (The hippies who lived here before us had some kind of a yin/yang thing on there which never really came off...) You can also note that the bottom third of the door is somewhat discolored - that's from dogs sleeping against it. (I can't blame that one on the hippies...)

Where am I going with this? Well, if you didn't pick up on it from the title to this post, we got a new back door! New for us anyway. Good old craigslist came through for us again!

Today after work I took my trusty Milwaukee Sawzall and sliced the old door out of there. (We'll try to unload it on some unsuspecting hippies via craigslist.)

Once we had the old door out we realized that we didn't have any shims and so we lived without a back door for several hours while Grace went to Home Depot to get a pack of shims. When she got back it was fairly late but we were still relatively excited about getting the door installed. Our enthusiasm waned in a big way after about 20 minutes. We wedged the crooked, non-closable door shut and went to bed convinced that tomorrow would bring better things. It did! Voila!

I'll trim it up on Friday and then we can banish the memory of our driving range door forever.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Sweet! The door looks great.

Do let your readers know if someone buys the old door. That would be an interesting story.

Al said...

I'm not sure whether disposal of leftover junk lies within the purview of this blog. I will reread its mission statement and try to arrive at a decision.

Michelle said...

Looks good! Which Friday will you be trimming that up? This coming or a year from now? Just curious.

Al said...

Oh ye of little faith (in me); the door is done! Pictures tomorrow... (I hope no one picks up your plate after dinner.)